patronage of our affiliate
partners supports this web site.
We thank you! In other words, please shop at LBC
Cornfield at Sunrise
Buy at AllPosters.com
La Belle Cuisine
New York Times
culpa! Would that I could give credit to the appropriate chef
writer for this marvelous recipe. Unfortunately, it was
stored in our archives with nothing more than the notation "New
York Times". We thank you,
whoever you may be!
Roast Corn for Flan
4 ears fresh corn
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Peel and remove most of the leaves from the corn, leaving one thin
to protect the corn from drying excessively. (Set aside some
leaves for a
garnish.) Rip away the end of the silk.
3. Roast for about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and peel away
remaining leaves and silk completely.
4. With a sharp utility knife carve the kernels off the cob and set aside.
1 tablespoon butter
Roasted corn kernels (see above)
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
Salt to taste
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of cayenne
Thin slices of sourdough bread,
completely cover the base of
1/2 extra sharp cheddar, shredded
Corn leaves, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Butter a 9- by 12-inch baking pan, reserving some of the
3. Place the remaining butter in a small sauté pan and add
the peppers, scallions and salt. Allow to sweat gently over medium heat.
from heat when softened.
4. Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the milk. Season the mixture
with salt, nutmeg and cayenne.
5. Line the bottom of the baking pan completely with one
layer of bread. Blend the sweated vegetables with the corn and spread the
in an even layer over the bread. Add the cheese in an even layer.
Pour the egg mixture over everything.
6. Allow to sit for 2 or 3 minutes so the egg mixture is
7. Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes. It should
be well browned but not burned.
8. Remove, cut into squares, and serve with a few corn leaves
Featured Archive Recipe:
All-American Corn Pudding
Corn, Zucchini and Cheese Pudding
Nigella's Sweet Corn Pudding
Index - Side Dish Recipe Archives
Index - Vegetable Recipe Archives
Thanksgiving Recipe Index!
Daily Recipe Index
Recipe Archives Index