patronage of our affiliate
partners supports this web site.
We thank you! In other words, please shop at LBC
New York, New York
Buy at AllPosters.com
New York Breakfast Pizza
Chic Simple: Cooking
Kim Johnson Gross and Jeff Stone,
© 1995 by Chic Simple. A Borzoi Book,
Alfred A. Knopf
Bake pizza dough [recipe follows],
then top it with a thin
Add a squeeze of lemon and serve.
Simple Pizza Dough
1 package active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
Pinch of sugar
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup fresh rosemary or 1/4 cup dried
Food thermometer needed
1. Place yeast in small bowl. Stir in the water and the
sugar. Let stand
for about 10 minutes, then mix.
2. In a large mixing bowl or work bowl of a food processor, combine
cornmeal, rosemary, if desired, and salt. Add yeast and olive
3. Set dough mixture on a work surface dusted with flour. Knead dough
vigorously for about 5 minutes. Divide dough into 4 equal parts and
4. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Transfer dough onto sheet and lightly brush
each ball with olive oil. Cover baking sheet with plastic wrap and let
in a warm place until dough has doubled in size (about 1 1/2 hours).
5. Dough can be frozen at this point, if desired. Place dough balls in
plastic freezer bags and freeze. To defrost, let thaw completely at room
temperature before rolling out.
6. Flatten dough ball with heel of hand on lightly floured work surface.
smaller the dough ball, the easier it is to work. Lift and pinch
from center outward in a circular motion until dough is
about the shape and occasional holes.
7. Place dough on a pizza paddle (a “peel"…) that has been liberally
sprinkled with cornmeal.
8. [For other variations of this basic recipe, toppings would be added
9. Slide pizza onto preheated stone that has been just sprinkled with
cornmeal by giving a slight, quick jerking movement forward and
backward. Or put it on an oiled baking sheet.
Bake pizza dough without topping for about 10 minutes. Let cool. Wrap
plastic wrap and freeze. It is not necessary to defrost before final
cooking. When ready to cook, add toppings, then cook as directed.
Bacon and Egg
Smoked Salmon and Leek Frittata
Cheese Pudding with Zucchini and Leek
Scrambled Eggs with Lox and Cream Cheese
Index - Breakfast Recipe Archives
Recipe Archives Index